Earn While at Home

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tofu Steak

Eating Japanese foods is one of my dining out food trips. Commonly ordered are Shrimp tempura (enjoyed by kids), California maki, chicken teriyaki, sushi and yakisoba! The art of eating Japanese food starts when you pick up those slim sticks, fix in your fingers and figure out how will you pick up the yummy food with those sticks? Well, well...that is your problem but not me! I know how to use “Hashi” or the chopsticks (“,) and I am fast and good with that!


 
So much for my long Japanese food introduction. Anyways, the recipe that I want to feature today is Tofu Steak. I have come to know this meal when the waiter recommended it. Something new apart from what I usually order in a Japanese restaurant, I tried this on. When it arrived in my table, I pick up my Hashi, get a square of tofu steak and tasted ....it is great! The taste of the ground pork mixture blends well with the fried tofu underneath. I scrutinized the ingredients well so that I can experiment cooking the same at home. Now, I am glad that I made my own version and excited to share The Cook’s Tofu Steak!

 
Ingredients:

 
Tofu (slice in ¼ inches thick)
500 grams ground pork (wash in water and drain)
100 grams button mushroom (sliced)
Quarter size red bell pepper (diced)
1 tbsp. Spring onion (slice in small pieces)
1 small onion
¼ tsp. ground pepper
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 cup water
1 tbsp. Corn starch
4 tbsp. Soy sauce
3 tbsp. Oyster sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp. Sugar
2 tbsp. Cooking oil
Flour
Iodized salt

 
Procedure:

  1. Sprinkle iodized salt in all sides of tofu. Set aside.
  2. Mix water and cornstarch well. Set aside.
  3. Heat the cooking oil in a wok. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is limp. Put the ground pork, sauté with onion, garlic and bell pepper and ground pepper. Cover for 10 minutes or until water evaporates.
  4. Add the cornstarch mixture, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
  5. Put the mushrooms and spring onion. Cook for another 3 minutes.

 
Frying Tofu:

 
  1. Dredge all tofu in flour.
  2. Heat cooking oil in pan,  fry tofu to your desired color.
  3. Drain in paper towel.

 In a serving plate, top the ground pork to fried tofu. Serves 5-6 pax.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment